Sparkle Moxie

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Talk about having your socks fucking rocked. D and I drove up to Austin to go see Ok Go and the Lashes (She Wants Revenge also played, but to quote myself when I got so bored during the show that I texted my sister, they sucked yak ass). Waiting in the heat for over an hour was so worth it because this was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

This band is everything I think a great band should be. They are so fucking on top of things, and not just music-wise, but stylistically, too. Tim Nordwin and Andy Ross do little choreographed moves, and good god but I love their clothes. And at the end, they do the dance for A Million Ways. I got to talk to Mike from the Lashes, and he said that watching it every night was like the best night of his life every night.


And I've got to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Lashes. They're great live (which is huge to me, so many great bands suck live), and honestly, how can you not love a band whose keyboardist has a sticker for Hall and Oates Maneater on his keyboard? The aforementioned Mike plays like a motherfuckingdrummingdemon, WHICH IS HOW YOU SHOULD PLAY! Play like you mean it, play like you love it, play like you'd never, ever get to again. He broke several of his sticks; one splinter even flew out into the crowd. I bought their new CD at the show, and am now looking for the first one.


So today, D and I walked around Congress. I went to Hill Country Weavers, and got some great Diakeito, which I have yet to find in Houston. We also went to Monkey...crap I can't remember the name of the store, but it does have monkey in it. Twice. Anywho, I got these Afro Kens! And if you were wondering, you should NOT stick one to your head as it will leave a perfect circle of a hickey on you forehead. I know because I've been staring at the perfect circle of a hickey on D's head all night.

The other big find was a copy of Barbara Abbey's
The Complete Book of Knitting. I am so excited to try some of these patterns. Woot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home